Atlanta Falcons Release Cameron Batson After Being Arrested for Fighting With Police Officer

Atlanta Falcons Release Cameron Batson After Being Arrested for Fighting With Police Officer

A player who was part of the practice squad of the Atlanta Falcons has been released after he was arrested over the weekend after an altercation with an Atlanta police officer.

According to Fox 5 Atlanta, the NFL team released practice squad player, Cameron Batson after the wide receiver was arrested for allegedly having an altercation with an Atlanta police officer. The Atlanta Falcons decided to release Batson due to the incident.

“The Atlanta Falcons have released wide receiver Cameron Batson from the practice squad. With the release of Batson, the Falcons currently have 15 players on the practice squad,” the team wrote in a statement to the media outlet.

Earlier this week, during a court hearing on Monday morning, a Fulton County judge granted Batson a $95,000 bond. With the bond amount, the judge stated that he would be permitted to travel with the Falcons so he can continue to work with the team. Shortly after that, the Falcons announced the release of Baston.

The Atlanta Police Department stated that Batson has been charged with Aggravated Assault Against Law Enforcement Officer When Engaged on Official Duty, Aggravated Assault, Battery, Removal of Weapon from Public Official, and Driving-Fleeing to Elude Police Officer.

Police authorities state that at around 2 AM on December 31, 2022, a police officer saw a pickup truck speeding and not staying in its lane. The police officer stopped the vehicle on I-75 North at the Northside Drive exit. After determining that Batson was drunk, he attempted to take him into custody. While trying to do so, Batson started to fight with the officer.

While fighting with the football player, his service weapon went off but no one was hit. After this, Batson was able to elude the police officer and get back into his car and leave the scene. He crashed a short distance away near Northside Drive and Echota Drive, got out of his car, and ran on foot trying to escape.

Several police officers set out to find him and were able to locate him hiding in the area. He was then taken into custody. Batson and the police officer were both taken to the hospital for injuries sustained during the altercation.

Leave a Reply


Verified by MonsterInsights